Search site

We are improving your online experience and trialling a new home page. Take a look!

Independent living

A list of Very Sheltered Housing, day centres, personal care providers and independent living services to help people stay in their own homes.

What are my options?

If you need some help in thinking through what the best option would be for you first of all, you may find the following websites useful:

  • Day centres

    Day centres aim to promote the health, well-being and independence of older people by offering a range of social activities, hobbies and health advice.

  • Very Sheltered Housing (VSH) schemes

    VSH allows safe and secure living within a community while having care and support close by. It is seen as a very real alternative to residential care homes.

  • Personal care providers

    Also known as domiciliary care, this is the delivery of a range of personal care and support services to individuals in their own homes.

  • Handyperson Service

    This is a free city wide service to help get small odd jobs and repairs done. Eligibility criteria applies.

  • Alarms and equipment

    Information on alarms, equipment and other telecare services can be found here on the Wolverhampton Information Network.

  • Wolverhampton Home Improvement Service (WHIS)

    If you live in and own your own home, WHIS can help with grants and loans for repairs and essential maintenance to your property. Eligibility criteria applies.

  • Community Support Service

    Community Support is a Confidential Advice and Information Service that aims to enable residents that are over the age of 18, living in Wolverhampton to continue to live independently.