Search site

Students and school leavers

If you are under 18 years old you will not have to pay Council Tax and you will not be counted as an adult when working out the Council Tax for the household.

When will you have to pay Council Tax?

When you turn 18, the householder will remain responsible for the Council Tax but you may count as an adult when working out the households Council Tax.

If you are under 18 years old but live on your own you will not have to pay Council Tax. The owner of the property you live in will be responsible until you are 18, but no Council Tax will be payable. When you turn 18 you will become liable for the Council Tax. However, you may be exempt or entitled to a discount.

Will you be counted for Council Tax?

In most cases, full Council Tax will be due if there are two or more people aged 18 or over living in a household. If you live on your own you will be entitled to a 25% discount.

However, if you meet any of the following criteria, you will be disregarded for Council Tax purposes:

  • school leavers under 20 who finish a full time course of education between 1 May and 31 October (this does not apply to students who take a year out or change courses)
  • youth training (YTS) trainees under 25 years of age on a training scheme funded by the Learning & Skills Council
  • student nurses on prescribed courses
  • certain apprentices earning less than £195 per week 
  • foreign language students registered with the British Council
  • full time students in higher education at aprescribed educational establishment undertaking study for at least 21 hours per week and 24 weeks per year
  • full time students under 20 years old in further education at a prescribed educational establishment undertaking study for at least 12 hours per week

If the property is occupied by only full time students, an exemption will be applicable. 

Students whose sole or main residence is in England and Wales are to be recognised as students if they are studying full time abroad in one of the Member States of the European Union.

Apply for discount/exemption
Apply for discount/exemption